At least 14 people are dead in Egypt after a huge explosion hit the Daqahliya security directorate in Mansoura on Monday night.
Some 100 people have been wounded in what seems to be the worst explosion yet since the ouster of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi.
The website of the Al-Ahram newspaper reported that the injury and death tolls are expected to soar with eyewitnesses saying that causalities are still inside the damaged building.
The head of Mansoura’s security directorate was among the injured, Daqahliya governor Omar El-Shawadfy told Egypt’s state television.
Al-Ahram quoted an anonymous security source as having said that two bombs went off almost at the same time.
The first bomb, he said, was planted in a higher floor in the building, the second in a car next to the security directorate. A third bomb planted in another car was defused, the source added.
There have been numerous bombings and terrorist attacks across Egypt since Morsi was ousted on July 3.
Many of the attacks have taken place in the Sinai Peninsula, where terrorism has been on the rise since Morsi’s ouster. Just last week, an Egyptian security forces camp in Ismailiya, near the Sinai Peninsula, was targeted by a massive explosion, leaving at least 35 policemen injured.
In October, another security headquarters was attacked in Ismailiya, leaving five soldiers dead.
In September, Egypt’s Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim survived an assassination attempt when a bomb detonated near his convoy in northeast Cairo